[GBC-Business] draft minutes of Feb 11 GBC meeting

Elie Yarden enyarden at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 18:23:42 EST 2020


Thank you for the minutes of the February 11 meeting that I missed.  The description of how
we arrived at conclusions seems authentic even down to the losses in collective memory.  And
I am far from displeased with resulting decisions. Firstly, I am indeed delighted that I no longer represent the GBC on Adcom.  I always found this difficult.  But I am especially pleased that John has made this political commitment at this time.  As for organizing regional conventions every four years, meeting the legal requirements has been done variously. But the underlying principle — letting as many registered Green-Rainbow people know as possible has worked.  Even ads in local newspapers have been used.  The last time I did it it was with Joanna, and we managed to send out several hundred letters.  The main event was a panel discussion that attracted close to thirty people.  Postcards are a good way to go, and there is no need here to mention candidates. 

I am also delighted at the choice male co-chair and consider David Rolde to have a better understanding of what the Green-Rainbow Party means to Massachusetts than most people.
His admiration for the work of Chuck Turner makes this clear.

I will report on my activities as a Green-Rainbow Party member in Cambridge in a separate letter.

 ~ Elie Yarden

> On Feb 21, 2020, at 12:53 PM, John Blumenstiel via GBC-Business <gbc-business at greenrainbow.net> wrote:
> 
> Thanks David.  They look complete to me.
> 
> john Blumernstiel
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Rolde via GBC-Business <gbc-business at greenrainbow.net>
> To: gbc-business <gbc-business at greenrainbow.net>
> Cc: David Rolde <davidrolde at comcast.net>
> Sent: Fri, Feb 14, 2020 8:33 pm
> Subject: [GBC-Business] draft minutes of Feb 11 GBC meeting
> 
> Draft minutes of the February 2020 meeting of the Greater Boston Chapter (GBC) of the Green-Rainbow Party
> by David Rolde
> 
> Held Tuesday February 11, 2020, at 7pm at the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) building, 2161 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA
>   
> 
> 1.Come to Order
> 
> Persons present at the beginning of the meeting: Jamie McLaughlin (co-chair), Mike Vaglica, Mike Heichman, Brian Cady, John Blumenstiel (treasurer), David Rolde (secretary) = 6 members present. No quorum. 7 is needed for quorum  [We attained quorum later:  Maha Visnu Gray and Michelle Fahey arrived during the meeting]
> 
> 1.a. Meeting Roles
>  
> John B is faciliator, David R is minutes-taker, Brian C is timekeeper
> 
> 1.b. Approval of previous meeting minutes.
> We skipped this because of lack of quorum
> 
> 1.c. Agenda
> 
> Mike H asks to add a discussion of having a possible bylaws change to lower quorum. We add that near the end of the agenda.
> 
> Brian asks to add discussion or proposal about sending postcards to GRP members about the GRP Regional Conventions. We include that in the Outreach for Regional Conventions agenda item
> 
> The six of us approve the agenda (by consensus) as amended 
> 
> 2. Ostensibly Announcement-type agenda items
> 
> 2.a.  Metro Boston and Metro South GRP Regional Conventions
> 
> Three of the GBC Officers (Jamie, David and John) met on the phone on Sunday (Feb 9) and decided that we will organize the Metro Boston and Metro South GRP Regional Conventions to happen together on Sunday March 22 from 2pm-5pm here in the AFSC Building. John has confirmed that space is available here.
> 
> We discussed if the GBC Officers have the authority to make this decision, or if we need quorum for GBC to make the decision, or if it should be a GRP Adcom decision.
> 
> At this point Maha Visnu Gray arrived at the current GBC meeting. We now have quorum. We decide by consensus to organize and hold the Metro Boston and Metro South GRP Regional Conventions at AFSC on Sun March 22, 2pm-5pm
> 
> 2.b. Treasurer's Report and Pass the Hat
> 
> John B reports that GBC has a little over $300 in our bank account. He doesn't remember the exact amount. He will send the exact amount to David for the minutes.
> 
> We pass the hat and collect $35
> 
> [After the meeting John reported by email that GBC's current balance is $337.42 including $32 collected at the meeting.]
> 
> 2.c. Outreach for Regional Conventions
> 
> Brian reports that there is a possibility of mailing postcards to registered GRP members about the regional conventions. There are approximately 500 GRP members in each region.  The postcards will cost $0.35 each to mail, and approximately $0.15 each to print, i.e., $250 to print and mail for each region.  There is some money from a fundraiser and some money in GRP printing budget. GBC could pay part (half?) of the cost of postcards to the two regions that we are organizing regional conventions for. We don't know when the postcards can be sent. The timing depends on when David Gerry gets the addresses of the GRP members to us.  We don't know if the cards will be sent before or after the March 3 GRP Presidential Primary. The postcard can have approximately 125 words on it.
> 
> David raises the fact that GRP Adcom put only four of eight Green Party presidential candidates on the MA GRP presidential primary ballot. GRP excluded David and three other candidates. GBC disagreed with this decision. David is concerned that the postcard should not be used to promote the candidates on the ballot and exclude the write-in candidates.
> 
> ** At this point Michelle Fahey called into the meeting via speaker phone. Now 8 GBC members at the meeting. We did introductions **
> 
> Mike H says that the postcard should include the date of the primary, but no candidate names. It should include the info about the regional conventions. The content should include a draw for something interesting at the convention.
> 
> John B suggests that we mail a postcard only to members in the Metro Boston region and not to the Metro South region.  There are no active members in the Metro South region so we should concentrate on Metro Boston. We can just send emails to Metro South GRP members.    
> 
> David and Maha both object to sending postcards to only one region. We need to treat both regions equally since we are organizing the regional convention for both regions. David points out that the reason we are sending postcards is because for most members we have postal address info but not email or phone info. 
> 
> Mike H and John B suggest that the GBC officers should write the postcard content. The deadline for content is uncertain because it depends on David Gerry. An email can go out sooner.
> 
> Brian suggests that the content should include encouraging people to go online to give us their email addresses.
> 
> PROPOSAL from Mike H:  GBC Officers will work on the postcard content. If the postcard goes out before the presidential primary then there will be no names of candidates on the ballot or not on the ballot. Also no presidential candidate names in the email. We will get this out as soon as possible. We will send postcards to both regions.We will split cost 50/50 with state GRP. We will match dollar count from Adcom and will spend an equal amount on postcards to Metro Boston and Metro South regions. Brian will have the postcards made.
> 
> David R and Mike H stand aside on a concern about spending the money
> 
> No other concerns. Proposal is adopted by consensus.
> 
> David reports that the Metro West GRP Regional Convention is being organized by the Assabet River Valley Chapter of the GRP and will be on Thursday March 19 in the evening in Acton. David will let Assabet Chapter know to contact Brian about sending out a postcard to Metro West region GRP members re the Metro West convention.
> 
> 2.d. Need for GBC participation in GRP State Convention Planning
> 
> John B reports that Joyce and Roni have dropped out of State Convention Planning. The Convention Planning Committee is not functioning.  Convention Planning responsibilities have defaulted to Adcom.  Adcom would like help from members of chapters including GBC, i.e., they would like people to volunteer to help plan the Convention or join the Convention Planning Committee.  The State Convention is currently planned for May 20 at the UU Church in Worcester.
> 
> No one at this meeting volunteers to help with Convention planning. We are too busy.
> 
> David has concerns that last year there was controversy about Howie Hawkins at the convention. If there are presidential candidates then they should  all be invited.
> 
> We will send an email to GBC lists asking for people to volunteer for state convention planning.
> 
> 
> 3. Agenda Items Needing Quorum
> 
> 3.a. Election of GBC Officers
> 
> Mike H suggests that we go ahead with the elections. If there are still vacant positions then we will fill them at future meetings.
> 
> Jamie says she does not want to run for re-election as female co-chair because she has served for two years and our bylaws could be interpreted as having a term limit of two consecutive terms.
> 
> Mike H nominates Mike V for male co-chair.  Mike V accepts
> 
> David nominates John to continue as Treasurer, and to be our Rep to Adcom.  John accepts nomination for re-election as treasurer. After discussion John accepts nomination to be GBC Adcom Representative.
> 
> Mike H nominates David to continue as Secretary. David accepts
> 
> Jamie nominates David for male co-chair. David accepts
> 
> David nominates Mike V as Secretary. Mike V accepts
> 
> David nominates Jamie as female Co-Chair. Jamie declines
> 
> Mike V says he will be out of the country for six weeks. We decide that is not a problem
> 
> Mike H suggests we go around and each vote for who should be male Co-chair
> 
> Mike H and Maha vote for Mike V
> Brian, David and Mike V abstain
> John, Michelle and Jamie vote for David
> 
> David is elected as male co-chair by a vote of 3-2 with 3 abstentions
> 
> David withdraws from nomination for Secretary.
> 
> By consensus we elect Mike V as Secretary. By Consensus we re-elect John as Treasurer, and elect John as Rep to Adcom.
> 
> [Later in the meeting Jamie agrees to stay on as female co-chair until we can find a replacement, and we agree to that by consensus]
> 
> Mike H proposes that the officer terms run til January 2021. In December 2020 we will announce that GBC officer elections will be held at the Jan 2021 GBC meeting.  No concerns. Proposal is adopted.
> 
> 5.d.  Discussion of changing bylaws to reduce quorum
> 
> Mike H jumps ahead in the agenda to announce that he will be emailing a proposal to amend the GBC Bylaws for us to have a lower number of members for quorum. We can't decide this today because bylaws amendment proposals must be announced and seconded a week in advance of a meeting.
> 
> 3.b. Proposal for extended email voting.
> 
> David reads the proposal for extended email voting. John would like to add a cutoff so proposals can't stay active forever. John suggests a limit of one three-extension. David suggests a limit that proposals can't remain active for more than a month. John accepts Davids amendment. 
> 
> No concerns. Proposal is adopted by consensus. David will type up the new language including the amendment. David and Mike V will update the bylaws.
> 
> Extended email voting language as adopted:
> 
> "E. Making decisions between meetings
> 
> 1. Any member of the chapter, who has attended at least 1 meeting in the last 6 months, can initiate an endorsement by e-mail.
> 
> 2. The initiator will describe the event, why s/he believes it is important for the GBC to endorse the event, and explain the nature of the support that is being requested.
> 
> The initiator will state an initial time-frame for the voting. The initial time-frame must be at least 72 hours to allow for members to research and deliberate and raise concerns. Longer initial time-frames are allowed.
> 
> Members (who have attended at least one meeting in the last 6 months) can submit their votes by email. Members who are unable to send email may submit their votes by communicating on the phone, in person, or by some other method to another GBC member who will relay their vote. Quorum will be obtained when the number of votes received equals the number of members required for quorum in Article IV, Item B. At least 2/3 of received votes (as defined in Article IV, Section C) must agree with the proposal for approval.
> 
> If, at the end of the initial voting time-frame, quorum has not been achieved, the initiator may extend the voting time-frame by sending an email specifying the number of days of the extension. The initiator may extend voting multiple times if quorum still has not been attained as long as the proposal is still relevant.  Proposals may remain active for a maximum of one month."
> 
> 4. Maha Gray's campaign for U.S. Senator
> 
> Maha is focused on GRP retaining our party status by getting 3% or more of the vote in a statewide election in 2020, either Maha's U.S. Senate election or the GP Presidential nominee in Massachusetts.  
> 
> Maha's campaign will be a write-in campaign because we don't have the resources to collect enough signatures to get Maha on the ballot.
> 
> David thinks it is very unlikely that we will get 3% of the vote in Massachusetts for President or for a write-in campaign for Senate. GRP loses our party status every four years during the presidential, and we regain our status two years later during the elections for governor and other statewide offices.
> 
> 3.c. Review/Choose Banner Options
> 
> Several people including Jamie and David have concerns about the visibility of the black text and green leaf on the green background.
> 
> David and Brian think the word 'Massachusetts' is not needed and that the quotes around 'green rainbow' should be removed and that there should be a dash between 'green' and 'rainbow'.
> 
> Mike H thinks we should postpone the banner decision til after the state convention as the party name may change
> 
> John thinks we should go ahead and get the banner right away
> 
> David suggests that John, as our Adcom rep, should check with Adcom about whether there is going to be a proposal at the state convention to finalize the name change.  If we find out that there is not going to be a name-change proposal at the convention then we should go ahead and get the banner. If there is going to be a name-change proposal then we should wait.   We decide by consensus to go with David's suggestion. Mike H suggests that the officers be delegated to make the decision to go ahead to have a banner made. David says we won't know (about the state convention) by next month so we should just review this at the next meeting.  John says that the banner will cost approximately $175.  We might not have the money if we spend it all on the postcards.
> 
> 5. Items for discussion
> 
> 5.a. GRP Presidential primary will be on Tuesday March 3.
> 
> Mike V will be working the polls
> 
> 5.b. GRP Legislative Committee
> 
> David and Mike H report that the GRP Legislative Committee is active but needs more members.
> 
> 5.c. Review and Discuss the 'Elimination of the U.S. Military' statement on the GRP website
> 
> John thinks this statement will be seen by the public as naive or too radical. John passes out his suggested new statement on reallocation of military spending.  We don't have time to discuss now. Discussion will continue by email and at future meetings.
> 
> 
> 5.d.  Amending GBC bylaws to reduce quorum
> 
> Mike H already announced that he will be emailing a proposal for this.
> 
> 6. Other Business
> 
> 6.a. Jamie says she will stay on as female co-chair til we can find a replacement.  
> 
> We accept this by consensus.
> 
> 6.b.  Next GBC Meeting
> 
> Next GBC Meeting will be Tuesday March 11, 7pm, here at the American Friends Service Committee a
> gain, 2161 Mass Ave, Cambridge, near Porter Square and Davis Square
> 
> 6.c. Adjourn
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> GBC-Business mailing list
> Send posts to:
>     GBC-Business at greenrainbow.net <mailto:GBC-Business at greenrainbow.net>
> Posting policies can be found at:
>     http://greenrainbow.net/mailman/listinfo/gbc-business_greenrainbow.net <http://greenrainbow.net/mailman/listinfo/gbc-business_greenrainbow.net>
> 
> _______________________________________________
> GBC-Business mailing list
> Send posts to:
>     GBC-Business at greenrainbow.net
> Posting policies can be found at:
>     http://greenrainbow.net/mailman/listinfo/gbc-business_greenrainbow.net
> 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://greenrainbow.net/pipermail/gbc-business_greenrainbow.net/attachments/20200221/890f5b5d/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the GBC-Business mailing list