[Membership] Membership Comm. -- approved minutes of 5/06 meeting

Mike Heichman mikeheichman at verizon.net
Wed Jun 6 12:01:30 EDT 2012

Membership, Volunteer and Diversity Committee

Phone Conference on 5/06/12

Minutes approved at 6/05 Meeting

(Decisions in Green)

Present: Rick Purcell-Membership Director, Rick.Purcell at baystatehealth.org(Holyoke, Pioneer Valley Chapter); Tar Larner- tarlarner at hotmail.com (Concord); Mike Heichman- mikeheichman at verizon.net (Boston, Greater Boston Chapter); Tim Wright- earthfirsth at msn.com (Berkshires Chapter); and Brian Cady- briancady413 at yahoo.com (Boston/Greater Boston Chapter)

I. People who have reached us from Nationbuilder and request information from the party.

     A. Rick will send out names. If they are in our area, we should contact them.

     B. Let Rick know whom we will call.

     C. Rick will contact the rest.

II. Mike will find the “organizing manual” is up-to-date and send it to Rick and the Membership Comm. (Note: The manual is old-from 2003 and needs to be updated. I just sent it to Rick and the Membership Comm.)

III. What are our goals and objectives for the rest of 2012?

     A. Increase our membership and increase the #s of local chapters and help strengthen            existing chapters

     B. We discussed visibility-bringing and wearing our t-shirt, buttons, bring brochures,            and voter registration forms

     C. Goal: There should be at least one member from every local chapter on our            committee.

IV.  Materials

     A. Brochures

          1. How many do you have?

          2. Print more-some in color and lots more in black and white

          3. Rick will contact Isabel and find out how many brochures and buttons we have-            with the objective of bringing enough of these materials to the 6/23 StateCom            meeting.

      B. New GRP T-Shirt is being created

          1. The deadline for submitting ideas is 5/30

          2. The T-Shirt Comm. thinks they can purchase t-shirts for $5 from Artists for            Humanity.

          3. This is a great price. This is an opportunity that will help with visibility and            could raise some funds for the party.

          4. Proposal to Adcom from our committee that we purchase 100 T-Shirts and            have them available for the 6/23 StateCom meeting—agreed by consensus with            no concerns

     C. Message to Adcom that membership brochure should be on our website

     D. We decided that it would be a good idea to have a member of our committee to            be a liaison with other Working Committees.

                     1. Tar with the CDLC

                     2. Rick will communicate with Isabel (ComCom)

                     3. Brian with Platform

      E. We decided to encourage the party to distribute Jill’s comparison piece of            literature (issue comparison of Stein, Obama and Romney). This is an excellent            membership piece for our party because it demonstrates how much the Democrats            and Republicans agree, and that our party is the alternative. This idea will be sent            to Adcom. Agreement by consensus with no concerns

          F. The Membership Comm. recommends to Adcom that more of our membership            materials be bilingual (English and Spanish). This would include the GRP T-           Shirts, buttons and membership brochures. Agreement by consensus with no            concerns

V. Calendar of Events

     A. We will create a calendar of major events that our state party (and local chapters)            should have a presence. Local chapters should be encouraged to create their own            local calendar.

    B. Farmer’s Markets are good events for local chapters to attend.

VI. Our committee proposed to Adcom that the sum of $500 be budgeted for the rest of            2012 to encourage local chapters to do tabling and outreach events. Our            committee understands that some of these major events attract the public from            across the state and the state party should help financially support the local            chapters to have these events. We also understand that some local chapters have            many low-income members and are attempting to reach out to low-income            communities and may need more assistance than other chapters. We encourage            Adcom to give preference to supporting outreach events that will attract a large            geographic attendance (Example: Gay Pride in Boston in June), that will focus            outreach to low-income communities, and would include $ support from the local            chapters. Agreed by consensus with no concerns.

VII. We will meet on the first Tuesdays of each month at 8 PM. Our next meeting will            be on June 5. Please join us.