[Membership] Document A-Draft Minutes of 5/06 meeting

mikeheichman at verizon.net mikeheichman at verizon.net
Mon Jun 4 21:18:45 EDT 2012

Dear Members of the Membership Diversity Comm:

Today, I discovered that the "documents that I had sent to you last night
for our meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) did not go through because the size of
the document was too big.

I therefore am breaking them into smaller pieces.

Talk to you tomorrow at 8 PM.

Mike

-----------------------

DOCUMENT A: DRAFT MINUTES OF 5/06/12 MEETING

Membership, Volunteer and Diversity Committee
Phone Conference on 5/06/12

(Decisions in Green)

Present: Rick Purcell-Membership Director,
Rick.Purcell at baystatehealth.org(Holyoke, Pioneer Valley Chapter); Tar
Larner- tarlarner at hotmail.com (Concord); Mike Heichman-
mikeheichman at verizon.net (Boston, Greater Boston Chapter); Tim Wright-
earthfirsth at msn.com (Berkshires Chapter); and Brian Cady-
briancady413 at yahoo.com (Boston/Greater Boston Chapter)

I. People who have reached us from Nationbuilder and request information
from the party.

     A. Rick will send out names. If they are in our area, we should
contact them.
     B. Let Rick know whom we will call.
     C. Rick will contact the rest.

II. Mike will find the “organizing manual” is up-to-date and send it to
Rick and the Membership Comm. (Note: The manual is old-from 2003 and needs
to be updated. I just sent it to Rick and the Membership Comm.)

III. What are our goals and objectives for the rest of 2012?

     A. Increase our membership and increase the #s of local chapters and
help strengthen 	existing chapters

     B. We discussed visibility-bringing and wearing our t-shirt, buttons,
bring brochures, 	and voter registration forms

     C. Goal: There should be at least one member from every local chapter
on our 	committee.

IV.  Materials

     A. Brochures

	1. How many do you have?
	2. Print more-some in color and lots more in black and white
	3. Rick will contact Isabel and find out how many brochures and buttons we
have- 	with the objective of bringing enough of these materials to the 6/23
StateCom 	meeting.

      B. New GRP T-Shirt is being created

	1. The deadline for submitting ideas is 5/30
	2. The T-Shirt Comm. thinks they can purchase t-shirts for $5 from Artists
for 	Humanity.
	3. This is a great price. This is an opportunity that will help with
visibility and 	could raise some funds for the party.
	4. Proposal to Adcom from our committee that we purchase 100 T-Shirts and
	have them available for the 6/23 StateCom meeting—agreed by consensus with
	no concerns

     C. Message to Adcom that membership brochure should be on our website

     D. We decided that it would be a good idea to have a member of our
committee to 	be a liaison with other Working Committees.
		1. Tar with the CDLC
		2. Rick will communicate with Isabel (ComCom)
		3. Brian with Platform

      E. We decided to encourage the party to distribute Jill’s comparison
piece of 	literature (issue comparison of Stein, Obama and Romney). This is
an excellent 	membership piece for our party because it demonstrates how
much the Democrats 	and Republicans agree, and that our party is the
alternative. This idea will be sent 	to Adcom. Agreement by consensus with
no concerns

	F. The Membership Comm. recommends to Adcom that more of our membership
	materials be bilingual (English and Spanish). This would include the GRP
T-	Shirts, buttons and membership brochures. Agreement by consensus with no
	concerns

V. Calendar of Events

     A. We will create a calendar of major events that our state party (and
local chapters) 	should have a presence. Local chapters should be
encouraged to create their own 	local calendar.
    B. Farmer’s Markets are good events for local chapters to attend.

VI. Our committee proposed to Adcom that the sum of $500 be budgeted for
the rest of 	2012 to encourage local chapters to do tabling and outreach
events. Our 	committee understands that some of these major events attract
the public from 	across the state and the state party should help
financially support the local 	chapters to have these events. We also
understand that some local chapters have 	many low-income members and are
attempting to reach out to low-income 	communities and may need more
assistance than other chapters. We encourage 	Adcom to give preference to
supporting outreach events that will attract a large 	geographic attendance
(Example: Gay Pride in Boston in June), that will focus 	outreach to
low-income communities, and would include $ support from the local
	chapters. Agreed by consensus with no concerns.

VII. We will meet on the first Tuesdays of each month at 8 PM. Our next
meeting will 	be on June 5. Please join us.

To Adcom, we have a list of recommendations from our first meeting. Please
take up our recommendations at your next meeting.

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web